Monday, September 22, 2008

Bolton Brothers

My weekend was taken up largely with the unique form of group therapy that is watching your favourite football team live and roaring yourself hoarse with about 2,000 other eejits of the same allegiance. Doing this on the cheap means spending a hideous amount of time on a coach and a ferry, gaining only snatches of sleep over a 24 hour period. Worth it though.

As our coach reached Holyhead in Wales for the return journey my bro slumbered with his head against the window whilst I used my iPod to see if My Bloody Valentine could make even the back of a load of buses queueing up look beautiful. It seems they can.

I looked across the aisle to see another pair of brothers, somewhat younger than us and with their dad in tow. They must have been about 7 and 14, I'd say. The little one looked about to drop off and leaned towards his brother, who stopped him doing so. I thought this was a shame, but fully appreciated how awkward teenagers can be about physical contact and affection. However, it turned out the older one was just putting on a fleece so his lil' bro could rest his head against him more comfortably. The wee fella curled up, put his head on his brother's side and went straight to sleep. I looked at the older lad and he smiled.

Touched by this, I went to put a hand on my own dear sibling's shoulder. For some reason he suddenly woke up just as my hand was hovering above him. "Ted*, what the fuck?" he grunted, and turned his head back away from me. I looked back over at our miniature comrades. At that exact moment the gaggle of ladies down the back started to shriek with laughter at something. the little fella woke up with a start and thumped his brother in the stomach.

About 5 minutes later I had a bit of a coughing fit, as I seem to have been doing consistently over the past month or so. The Bro woke up, opened his bag and grabbed a bottle of water and handed it to me. He said "I like you" and went straight back to sleep. I gazed across the aisle and saw a small head on a much larger chest, with a big arm around him.

*Ted is an affectionate nickname we both use for each other.

8 comment(s):

Darragh said...

Awww! Just awwww.

Ted, eh?

red said...

for the first time in my life ever I wouldn't mind being a bloke. I ditto the awww.

Darren said...

Dude!

That is all.

Andrew said...

Darragh - yep, Ted. It's not a refernce to Father Ted but rather the Irish gardener in the Ralph and Ted sketch on the Fast Show.

Red - As the Monty Python guys once asked, "Isn't it awfully nice to have a penis?"

Darren - Thank you! That is all.

And thank you Darragh and Red for the awwws.

Green of Eye, Sharp of Claw said...

That's really, really sweet Andrew :)

Lindsey said...

Oh, bless.

(Also, I keep having to double-check the premiership standings to make sure my eyes aren't deceiving me.)

Rosie said...

sap.

Andrew said...

Green of eye - I'm just a big sack of sugar, you'll see that tonight.

Linds - Yes, indeed. Wait til we unleash Vela on the league.

Rosie - yep, that's the subtext to everyone's comments on this one as far as I can see.