Friday, June 13, 2008

Lisbon latest

As I write now, it appears likely that the Lisbon Treaty is going to be rejected by the Irish people. I don't quite know how this makes me feel. Having played Devil's Advocate a little bit in my last post, I got to the polling booth, briefly considered scrawling "Fuck off you incomprehensible bastards!" and then looked again at the wording of the referendum: "Do you approve of this amendment to the Irish Constitution?" And I realised that it made it very easy for me. I can't possibly approve of something I don't understand and it would be irresponsible of me to do so. So I voted 'No'.

And it looks like plenty of others did too. It felt like the right thing to do but let's hope it doesn't come back to bite us on the ass.

2 comment(s):

Darren said...

You did the 'right' thing. Regardless of whether the Lisbon Treaty is good or bad for Ireland and the EU's future, you made the right choice and can't be criticised for it. If you don't fully understand something that will change our constitution, then the correct thing is to vote No.

Rosie said...

well put. too much of the focus was put on choosing sides - which was never the point.